My first Brighton (unintended ultra) marathon

Cant believe the event has now been done. The number of miles I've ran in preparation, the ridiculous 3:45am alarms so I could get my long base run done before starting work at 7:30am. 

The number of times I've been caught short on a training run which was equally embarassing as well as frustrating at how my body just would not behave itself and decide it needed to get to a toilet ASAP. 

The build up to the event day itself, September 12th 2021 in Brighton started the week before. I had completely adjusted my diet in terms of what times I would eat at, my main meal being at lunch time and dinner being something light at 5pm. No snacking after that. Making sure my water consumption was definitely up to scratch. The shift to mostly carbs in the last few days. The tapering week of my TrainerRoad program that I'd been working through for about 23 weeks. 

The next thing I knew it was September 11th. Aside from the obvious poignant reasons about that date, 20 years later it was the eve of my first ever marathon. My kit bag was packed, and triple checked. I'd laid out my running clothing the night before. Made sure my running computer was charged, running vest ready to go. My fuelling strategy was to have a gel just before the start (about 10 minutes before), then after 45 minutes, then every 30 minutes after that. Each time alternating between caffeinated and non-caffeinated gels.

My alarm went off at 4:15am, it was dark outside still.  I bounced out of bed like that opening scene from "Four Weddings and a funeral" thinking I had laid in as my brain thought my alarm was once more set at an unsociable 3:45am. Breakfast was a bowl of porridge with half a banana.  Then into the shower, contacts in, wondering when I would be able to have a "sit down" (no I wont be any more graphic)

Left the flat about 5:20am to go get Tori.  Claire and Dave T were on their way down from Hemel.  My entourage for the day.  We set off towards Brighton just before 6am.  

After a bit of a faff in Brighton with one closed road, miles away from the starting point and a bit of ingenuity on my part, we got to my reserved parking spot and started the walk to Preston Park.


As you can see the sun was out and the mercury was slowly heading northwards, but it still felt ok.  Fortunately it was just after this photo when my body FINALLY decided I needed to have a "sit down".  I wont blog about that bit, except to say that it was quite a weight off my mind.  Chamois cream applied AND for good measure, 2 imodiums to really keep things secure....



Once my entourage left me to my own devices (or so they could go get a fry up), it was a bit of a wait until my wave was called through to the starting area.  But in the wait for that, I did a light run, yes, a run to get ready for my long run. Some basic stretches to feel like I was doing something.  

Then onto the starting pens, thats when things started to get very real for me.  


Starting in the first wave, we were all expected to do under 3 and a half hours.  If my training was anything to go by, 5 minutes per kilometer was an absolute doddle for me so I was quietly confident and I had set up a very convoluted workout on my Garmin which not only reminded me to take a gel every so often as part of my fueling strategy but also kept my pace in which I had set a very large window of 4:15 - 4:40 per km.  I definitely didn't want to be any faster than a 4:15km

Around the bend from this photo as we slowly shuffled forwards I saw the start line.  My stomach wasn't in knots or anything like that, I was just going to run my own race.  I knew I would finish it, the question was, how quick would I be?

As we edged towards the start line, people going from a shuffle to a jog to a run there was a bit of a crescendo as you heard sports watches being started as soon as people crossed that line.  Then it was my turn.  BEEP I was off. My marathon had begun.  I turned the corner, a sea of people and my timing was slower than I wanted which would not do at all.  Trying to pick my way through the crowd and then up the first hill.  Something wasn't right though, something was missing.  OMG I hadn't started my music! Pressed the button on my headset and away it started.  I followed some people up onto the pavement to get past the majority of the crowd, then turned the next corner into the downhill.  "Hmmm now we're cooking with gas" I thought.  My tracker went from 4:50/km to 4:15/km as my pace and then started complaining I was going too fast.  Of course I ignored that, I had to get out of this sea of people.  Then we were heading towards the sea front.  I found a person that was going at a pace I wanted and fixated on them, staying with them.


We soon headed out of Brighton towards the Brighton Marina and then towards a village named Ovingdean.  The breeze off the coast offered minimal respite from the heat which was just getting warmer and I was sweating more than I expected at that stage.  But fortunately with my running vest I had a bladder in the back which had about 1.2l of isotonic fluid so I made sure I took regular sips from there every 5 mins.

At the turnaround and heading back towards Brighton I was passed by the 3 hour 15 minute pacer.  I couldn't believe I'd stayed in front of them for that long but wow was this guy giving it some beans.  So I tagged myself onto his group which was "fun".  The thing about pacers you see is they have a balloon attached to them with their goal time on it, helps people spot them easily.  Now I'm behind this guy and the balloon, lets just say its being pulled along in the air behind him.  So you can now imagine it, with the pace this guy was going at, me behind him... whack! the balloon bounced off the top of my head. No it didn't hurt, but the wind / mother nature made sure that damn balloon made its presence known to me a few times a minute at the very least whether it was bouncing off the top of my head or the side of my face.  Trying to put a positive spin on it, I knew that it meant I was staying with him, so being "beaten" by a helium filled balloon actually became quite funny.

The next thing I knew we were back in Brighton sea front, about 11 - 12 miles covered.  Then out of the blue I hear a voice shout my name...


That was definitely a nice little boost, the temperature was eeking upwards still and my legs were starting to feel it a bit also.  Shortly after that the 3:15 pacer just went past me and I didn't try to stay with them completely.  

After going through a halfway point marker which was nice relief knowing there was more behind me than there was ahead, we were on what must have been the longest road in Brighton.  This thing was dead straight and just went on forever.  I was  just plugging away, my brain was telling me to have a small walking break, this was about mile 17 now.  So now fighting with myself, another energy gel down and now my stomach is finally telling me to go easy on the gels as its not doing too well and things wouldn't be pretty if I had another one any time soon...  After 2 miles of mental battles and not allowing myself a break I had to come to a very temporary standstill as my legs had started to shake.  20 seconds later I set off again.  

I'd heard about heading towards the power station, it was such a no mans land. Barely any crowds for support (ok no crowds for support).  Fortunately I had my music to listen to but I was all to aware that my stomach wasn't pleased with me, especially when I burped and followed through into my own mouth (thats about as graphic as I'll get in this entry) the reflex reaction had me swallow it back down anyway...

Finally getting out of the no mans land I had to have another break but this time I kept walking instead of coming to a standstill as its easier to get going again from some form of movement than none.  But I wanted to get my thoughts down on video at that point so here we are:


22 miles down, 4.2 miles left.  I could see the observation tower in the distance, I knew that was at mile 25.  That was my goal.  Then I got to mile marker 23.  My brain reframing it now as "Come on Dave, 5k left! You've done loads of 5k runs!" The pace was feeling hellishly slow, but the walking by the water stations was definitely helping things.

The next thing I knew, the crowds were back, and we were back in civilisation once more.  Then we were at the observation tower.  Ok time to put this to bed Dave, last mile, you've got this.  Yes it hurts but come on, 8 mins left (at a guess).



Seeing the pier starting to loom helped me start to dig a little deeper.  I dont want to say a second wind bcause at that point it was more a fifth or sixth wind and they just were not lasting that long anymore. Lengthen the stride, keep that cadence up Dave! The faster you go the sooner you'll finish! Then I started seeing that finish line in the distance, now it was time to REALLY dig deep.  Believe me it was really not easy but the adrenaline and my brain telling me "Get past these people!"




and then over the line in 3 hours 27 minutes 25.71 seconds!


My timing certificate as proof and some not to shabby positions.  Especially for my first marathon.


Finally meeting Tori, Claire and Dave (Thompson) on the beach for a nice sit down and a well deserved beer. Of course I had to have my traditional post event photo...


Later on it turns out that the marathon organisers had incorrectly measured the course so the distance between mile markers 9 and 10 was much more than 1 mile.  Everyone doing the marathon had actually run further!  They reported an extra 568 metres.  My garmin and strava entries showed I had run over 43.1km which is closer to an extra 1,000 metres.  It explained why the pacers were really flying later on as they thought they were behind on their pace and were having to make up between 3 - 6 minutes which isn't just something you work in without anyone noticing.  So according to strava, my official marathon distance time is just over 3 hours 22 minutes.

After thoughts

For my first marathon I was absolutely chuffed to bits to beat my own challenge time, even with the longer distance thrown in to the mix.  I've definitely been bitten by the running bug and will keep it up as well as throwing in strength and conditioning to get my legs stronger for the longer distances.  For sure this will not be the only marathon or running event I will be taking part in.  Yes my legs hurt but that tells me I gave it everything I had and I knew I dug deep in those later miles. The physical and mental battle had been won and I know I can do better.  So bring on the next event! For 2022 I do have some running challenges I'd like to achieve.  Beat my current marathon time AND run a sub 20 minute 5k.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who's your biggest competition?

A catch up on events

Onwards and sidewards (and a little bit backwards)

A random mismash of stuff

Wooop wop de (sugar free) gummi bear style