Wiggle - Le Tricolore - Epic

The next big ride has now been completed and I am so happy!


It was a long day / weekend for sure, but thanks to Claire F (my sportive entourage) I was able to get to Dover on Saturday evening for my very temporary lodgings.  The room itself was basic and yet nice, although the temperature when I first arrived there just would not do:


So I was able to get that rectified very quickly.  That's the advantage of a small room is it doesn't take long at all to heat up:


... so much better.  Unfortunately too hot as later on as I woke up after only 2 hours, laying on top of the bed covers like it was summer time again and I was absolutely melting.

The alarm went off at 3:30am (why do I do this to myself?).  I had my liquid fuel breakfast and proceeded to get ready


It goes without saying that it was pitch black outside and not at all warm.  The hotel had let us (as there were a few of us staying there the night before) store our bikes in a secure room plus as an added bonus I was able to leave my car in their car park which meant I didn't have a hill to climb at the end of the event upon my return to England.  So, just the hill to climb to registration...

I was all ready, the night manager let me get my bike out of storage and I was about to leave the hotel (its now about 4:15am) when another couple came down the stairs in their cycling gear.  The manager asked if they wanted to get their bikes also and they said, "Oh no thanks, we're going to drive up the hill to register, drive back down and get our bikes then if thats ok?".  Straight away I knew that was my preferred option as it was a MUCH better idea so I put my bike back into storage.  I'm so glad I did because the hill climb was absolutely brutal where even on the first part I said out loud to myself, and in the car on my own "Look at this f**king hill!" it was a gradient like steep stairs.  Yeah I'd have managed it, I'd also have managed to completely wear out my legs even before the event had begun.

So up the hill I drove, passing a few cyclists on the way.  Got registered, a bit of a struggle getting back out of the car park and down the hill. Yes it was STILL dark at this point but I retrieved my bike from the hotel storage and then proceeded to the ferry terminal.  Fortunately that was relatively flat and it was nice to get the legs moving.



Once at the port is when the waiting around started.  I don't know the temperature exactly (maybe 5 degrees), it was fortunately above freezing, but all the standing around started to make people feel a bit frosty.  After having our passports checked we were able to go use some services where I realised I needed to buy some water as my bottles were empty.  Milled about in there for a while and then back to my bike and more waiting around, just waiting to get out of the wind coming in off the English channel.


The sun was starting to come up as we were about to get on board.  A little respite from the wind warmed us up and then onto the ferry we went.

I was able to find myself a spot to perch myself in and get my bottles and other stuff ready.  The journey itself was so smooth that I never even realised when we first started moving.  But after secondary registration and a free croissant and coffee I was feeling pretty good about the task ahead of me and the challenge I had been set (86 miles in less than 5 hours).


After about an hour we had finally arrived in Calais and it was a beautiful day


I saw people taking off their leg and arm warmers, but decided to leave mine on as I knew it was going to be windy.  Off the ferry and to the start line, a bit more waiting as we were being let off in groups and I was finally underway.

I was lucky enough to get into a rhythm quite quickly, unfortunately, that rhythm wasn't anywhere near fast enough so I didn't have the luxury of drafting behind other riders.  I was definitely pushing it and moving past quite a few riders and then the field started to thin out.  A nice tailwind was helping also and pretty soon my average speed was about 21mph - 22mph.  It's not often I see something like that on my bike computer.  My heart rate was "in the middle" I was 2 hours in and had already done over 40 miles.  Of course I'm still taking on water and having the occasional clif bar / energy gel but probably not as often as I should have to keep the energy levels topped up.

I passed the first checkpoint and decided to not stop and just press on.  A few minutes later another rider caught up to me and we just cruised along (still over 20mph) having a natter and talking about pretty much anything.  His name was Gav(in) and a former sergeant in the army.  Suffice to say he left me standing when it came to the hills as he was an absolute machine and I told him to go as I didn't want to hold him up.

The legs were starting to feel it by the time I got to Cassel and its cobbled climb.  Just for your viewing pleasure I've extracted the video from my camera and complete with overlays so you can see how fast I wasn't moving and also some audible feedback at various points...



It was definitely hard work for sure, but the surface really did take it out of my arms because of the vibration going through my bike for over 2 miles.  As you can see, it was an absolutely gorgeous village / town, I just wanted them to have a bit more tarmac.

A rapid descent and as expected my average speed was starting to drop. So I foolishly decided to bypass the second checkpoint so I could just keep on going.  My rationale was I didn't need anymore liquids and I had enough gels and clif bars to get me to the end.  While it was nice to be back on flat-ish grounds, the tailwind that had been assisting me on the way out was now a headwind and I didn't like it one bit.

The groups had broken up again and while I knew I would see other cyclists at some point, I was very much on my own with just my bike computer for company, slowly ticking up the distance and not seeing much else aside from open fields and trees.  A dodgy gear change on my part resulted in my chain nearly coming off, so I found a small break for the legs to get off and put the chain back on which took all of 15 seconds, if that. Then pressing on I spotted a cyclist in the distance and he was walking back.  Wondering what had happened I then spotted a water bottle laying on the grass verge.  So, good Samaritan Dave picked it up and brought it to him.  A nice little boost from doing my good deed for the day.  Didn't last for long though as my legs started to whinge away.  At this point I found myself going for energy gels like they were going out of fashion.  I'd have one, my legs would feel fine for a period of time and then the lactic build up would be felt again.  It felt like I was trying to fill a leaky cup with water.  There was about 15 miles to go and I was rapidly running out of gels..

I then felt relief when I saw the sign showing I was back in Calais!  Roads started feeling familiar again and I was recognising turns.  At this point my average was under 18mph so I was trying to keep my legs working as hard as I could to last until the 86 mile marker.  Another bought of relief when I saw road signs pointing to the ferry port...  I looked at my computer, I had 10 minutes left to beat the challenge.  Time to just push myself, one last go and not stopping or letting up, I'll stop at the end.

My legs are not impressed with me at this point.  It would have been nice if they'd have stopped talking to me but thats not how they work.  I then see the port infrastructure after heading over a bridge and knew I wasn't far at all.  There were now buildings and flatness which meant protection from the wind.  The speed was climbing and I'm back in the port.  Not far to go now, the distance goes to 86 miles elapsed and I see the finish sign.  Round a hair pin into the waiting area and across the line!

Off with the helmet and I was definitely suffering from helmet hair / corn rows


There was a bit of a wait for the next ferry but I was so glad when I was able to get back on board it.  Finally able to sit down and literally put my feet up...


After a bit of a break and to make sure I could still walk, I went for a walk round the ferry lounge.  It was so nice to finally see this view which meant I was finally home


A bit more queuing to get off the ferry and then an easy cycle (yeah I know, back on my bike) back to the hotel car park.  I couldn't even imagine what it would be like for those people parking up on that hill.

Oh and as for the challenge....  mission accomplished


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who's your biggest competition?

A catch up on events

Onwards and sidewards (and a little bit backwards)

A random mismash of stuff

Wooop wop de (sugar free) gummi bear style