The monthly catch-up


I've been suffering from a bit of writers block if that can pertain to me when I do not actually consider myself to be a writer anyway.  I suppose that is the thing about having a blog and like I always tell people that you should only put online what you're prepared for the world to know.

Work has been trundling along as always with good and bad days but that is nothing that we all shouldn't expect.  But don't worry, the good is outweighing the bad and for that I'll always be appreciative.

I actually managed to get out on my first ever club ride with Woking Cycle Club a couple of weekends ago on 9th September.  It was great weather for a trip to the Surrey Hills and a different ascent up Leith Hill on Anstie Lane.  We were not even halfway into our route when we had this "thing" thrown at us.  Suffice to say, coming close to the top of the climb I'm standing on my pedals, in 1st or 2nd gear, my heart rate is 172bpm, the sweat is dripping down my face and I'm doing.... 4.5mph.  But I'm pleased to say that I never got off and just about made it to the top of the climb where there were another group of WCC cyclist already up there and the first thing I thought to say was "I want a pastie".  No idea where it came from but I thought it would be funny enough to say at the time.

That's something about me, while I'm happy enough with the sort of person I am and my mannerisms.  I am now starting to think that acting the fool just to make people laugh doesn't always have the desired effect and there will be cases when they will just go out and think "what an idiot".

I've always tried to be the class clown as it were, maybe its a case of I'm trying too hard but to be honest I'm not entirely sure.  Yes I'd rather made someone laugh / smile / feel better about themselves than bring them down.  Life is hard enough sometimes and yes I get that sometimes we need to get serious about things from time to time, I do think I have a good bead on that for the most part.  Yeah it could be improved and at my tender 43 years of age I'm not resigning myself to the adage that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.

The ride from Calais is now looming and I've been set a target to complete it in under 5 hours.  Is it attainable, to be honest I don't know.  It'll be an average speed of 17.2mph that I'll need to beat and all the climbs are smack bang in the middle of it.  I have upgraded my tyres on my bike to Continental Grand Prix 4000 S II.  It wasn't done on a whim as it turned out my tyres, despite them being 3 years old as they were the original ones that came on my bike, were starting to wear and the front one had a nasty cut across it where I found a stone embedded into the tyre.  I don't know how long it had been there for but it was a puncture waiting to happen save for the puncture resistant layer in the tyre itself, but that wouldn't have held out forever.  But anyway, these are really good tyres and they were half price also which made them even more the bargain.

A friend of mine is off to her "first" weigh in today since her joining Slimming World which made me think about my extremely brief time on it.  But not from a personal aspect, more from the group leader angle.  So, I still had an email from the group leader back in January and have just sent her a quick "thank you" email along with a few photos. One from "before" and two from me at the Prudential RideLondon.  Maybe she'll remember me, maybe she wont but in this instance its a thank you thats long overdue...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who's your biggest competition?

A catch up on events

Onwards and sidewards (and a little bit backwards)

A random mismash of stuff

Wooop wop de (sugar free) gummi bear style